Saturday, February 13, 2010

Developer Windows Box Tools

I recently needed to create my development environment from scratch and here is my (probably incomplete) list of tools I tend to install for may daily work and on a Windows box.

  • PowerShell (if Windows XP) a Windows Shell done right
  • CygWin what ever is missing in PowerShell, here it is
  • IntelliJ since there is the community edition, there is no reason not to have it
  • Krento fast access to the most used apps
  • Launchy (if Windows XP)
  • ClipX for hitory and batch processing Copy and Paste
  • gVim sometimes if I need a second different text editor
  • Notepad++ my preferred Text Editor
  • Google Chrome (Beta) with Extensions
  • FireFox with FireBug and other plugins
  • Sysinternals Suite by Mark Russinovich
  • Groovy mostly for writing unit tests
  • Ruby just in case
  • Scala
  • WampServer makes it so easy to install Apache, mySQL, php
  • Skype - sometimes I need it
  • DropBox to easily share files between distributed computers
  • Password Safe - how do you manage your passwords
  • Java in different versions from 1.5 to 1.6
  • Tomcat in different versions
  • Maven
  • Ant just in case there is a project that does not use Maven
  • ThinkingRock for GTD
I know there is more. In follow up posts I will start to list plug-ins for different apps like Google Chrome, Firefox, IntelliJ, etc.

No comments: