Saturday, January 09, 2010

Coming Back To Eclipse: JVM Exit Code -1

Are you looking for a solution for failing Eclipse starts and instead of getting the IDE to run, you see a dialog with the following message (and more): JVM Terminated. Exit Code=-1?

I found the solution for my system: I was trying to run a 32bit Eclipse version on a 64bit JVM.

If you need more details, read on.

I haven't used Eclipse for about two years now after switching to IntelliJ when everyone in my company was using IntelliJ and it simply made more sense to use the same IDE.

Recently I wanted to do some programming on my private Laptop and installed Eclipse 3.5.1. Everything went fine, I uploaded more plug-ins and then had to pause for two weeks concentrating on higher priority tasks. Today I came back to my Laptop and when I tried to start Eclipse it did not start and instead gave me the nasty JVM exit code -1 error message. I could not figure out what had changed in the time between the last start and after 90 minutes of unsuccessful configuration changes and new install, JVM downloads and changes I got in a really bad mood.

I was almost about to give up when I stumbled over a posting by Phil Suh that finally opened my eyes and brought me back on the right track. Since my laptop is a 64 bit machine I had finally installed 64 bit JVMs and that was the change. I tried to run a 32 bit Eclipse on a 64 bit JVM. I should have known that.

As Phil points it out, Eclipse makes it kind of hard to find its Windows 64 Bit distributions. You need to go to the Eclipse Platform Download site and then download the Language specific plug-ins after you finished the platform install.

No comments: